Graduation Requirements and Course Regulations
- Two programs are available to master students: the one taught in Mandarin Chinese (the Chinese program) and the Graduate Program in English (GPE). Students should choose and decide which program to join by the end of the first semester after they enroll in the master’s program. If a student does not do so, the student will be considered in the Chinese program.
(1) Students in the GPE must also submit proof of English proficiency. (The English proficiency criteria for them are commensurate with those for doctoral students.)
(2) If a GPE student wishes to change to the Chinese program, the student may make the change after a resolution on approval is made at an institute affairs meeting. If approved, the student may incorporate their course credit hours completed in the GPE into the course credit hours required for the Chinese program to count toward the total credit hours for graduation. The student should then follow the course requirements for the Chinese program to attain the required total credit hours for graduation.
- Course Requirements:
(1) Students must follow the course rules set by the instructor to complete a course.
(2) Students can choose courses from both program (i.e., the Chinese program and the GPE). However, students in the GPE should obtain at least 2/3 credit hours from English Mediated Instruction (EMI) courses to count toward the required credit hours for graduation.
(3) If a student in the Chinese program chooses to take courses required for the GPE, those course credit hours may count toward the required elective course credit hours for the Chinese program. If a GPE student chooses to take courses required for the Chinese program, those course credit hours may count toward the required elective course credit hours (no more than 1/3 credit hours) for the GPE.
(4) Please follow other course requirements in the Program Requirements for the Master’s Degree.
Students in the GPE must write the thesis in English. If a student wishes to write their thesis in Chinese, a resolution on approval must be obtained from an institute affairs meeting to proceed further.
- A student may be conferred a degree of Master of Science upon completion of all the program requirements within the maximum allowable period of study. (Each EMI course will be noted with an E in the transcript.)